February 9, 2010

Boats and More

The pictures in this post were shot when I was visiting the United Arab Emirates few years ago. The first day I was at Abu Dhabi I visited the Cultural Foundation, a national body responsible for tourism promotion and preservation of native Arab cultures of the Emirates. The sprawling glass fronted building was full of numerous modern and ancient artefacts representing desert life. Larger than life size wooden camel figures, replica's of colorful bedouin tents, gleaming brass hookahs, wooden ship models, among others. I was particularly captivated by the various models of old ships popularly known as Arab Dhows. Here are a few pictures I captured of those models.
Exhibit at UAE cultural foundation, Abu Dhabi Model of Arab Dhow in UAE Cultural Foundation Model of Arab Dhow in UAE Cultural Foundation

No comments: