July 6, 2008

Posting after a gap!

It’s been over a month since I sent back by camera and have not been able to get a new one, so I’m still recycling my old pictures. It might be a bit boring but please bear with me for a few more weeks. Hopefully I should get a new camera by the end of this month. And then I will be posting new and interesting pictures to showcase my experiences in this continent sized country. But for now they need to keep visiting my blog and giving me your feedback and comments so that I remain enthusiastic about blogging.

In this edition I bring to you sights of the Arabian desert. I visited United Arab Emirates in 2005 and traveled through four of the seven province’s all of the oil rich desert state. One thing I noticed during my visit was that this country was using Indian postage and currency until 1945. It is only after 1962 that oil was struck off the coast of Abu Dhabi and the country became prosperous. But the ruling class did not exploit this new found riches to make merry, instead they used the wealth to build world class roads, Shopping malls, airports and other infrastructural facilities. I think this is what has made the desert state rich and enabled their citizens lead comfortable lives in luxury and prosperity.

I wonder if the same prosperity were to come to India, would the governing class have shared it with the people. Looking at the current scenario I don’t think it would have happened. Anyway I hope that the common people of India will realize their responsibilities and work towards prosperity in an ethical and honest direction.

Oh! Well I went off on a tangent in my own train of thoughts. You guys enjoy the pictures and do let me know what you feel about them.

Fantastic Roads slice through the deserts all over UAE

Downtown Abu Dhabi is full of high rise buildings

Sky scrapers and glass encased buildings

No comments: