July 2, 2008

Glimpses of the Mighty Himalayas

Continuing on my nostalgia series of blogposts, I'd like to post about my trans-Himalayan motorcycle expedition in 2002. We were 8 people, 6 motorcycles and one car and we took off from Delhi on our wanderlust into the heart of the Himalayas. I have tried to capture the essence of the journey through pictures and a very short video. Unlike usually I was in the car as part of the support team for a large part of this journey. I rode the bike probably about 500 km throughout the entire expedition. Driving a car along the curvaceous roads which soared skywards and plunged to sea levels was a thrilling experience too. Here are the pictures:

Me at Jalori Pass, posing between our steeds


Cooking dinner!


Craggy peaks in the middle of Himalayas


Local women, hard lifestyles


Group posing in a curve


On Road


My friend Ranga at Jalori Pass


Rolling mountains


Snow capped Mountains


Wind eroded tunnel off Manali-Leh road


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures.

We are a community of travel enthusiasts, who have created a website for promoting travel in India. It is www.ghoomlo.com.

The interesting thing about this initiative is that as a contributing blogger, one can even earn money through a great reward program. Please see the Faqs in the website for more details.

Best Regards

treasured_creatives said...

Thanks for the visit and comment Anil. I will definitely look up your site and try to contribute.

Anonymous said...

Its a good collection of pictures.