April 14, 2010

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, Indiahoma, OK

The visitors Center


It has been several months... almost years since I touched a rock with an intention of climbing it. There are no rocks or hills in Dallas area, which is in the heart of the Panhandle Plains of Texas. Last Sunday I was lucky enough to visit a place known as Indiahoma in the neighboring state of Oklahoma. This small town is home to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.

The sprawl of Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, India-homa


This is a 59,020 acre refuge and is protected habitat for several native species including the American bison, (We saw many of these gentle giants) Rocky Mountain elk, white-tailed deer, Texas longhorn cattle, 50 mammal, 240 bird, 64 reptile and amphibian, 36 fish, and 806 plant species thrive here.

Rocky Terrain


I will talk about the short hike we took in the refuge in my next post. For now I have to get ready and get to work... enjoy the pictures.

No comments: