December 24, 2009

New Orleans World War Memorial


I have always respected soldiers, men and women, who fight for their country and sometimes even make the supreme sacrifice in the line of duty. Irrespective of which country they belong they are all spurred by the goal of protecting their country or destroying their enemy country (except the Indian army). I visit war memorials when I come to know of one in the vicinity. While at New Orleans I decided to visit this world war memorial in the Ninth Ward and was surely surprised by the way the memorial had been fashioned. The memorial as a whole is similar to the Arch of Titus, but in listing out the names the front has only white soldiers names, while black and colored people are mentioned in a separate list in the back of the memorial. In short even in death for the country the glory for non-white people is little lesser. I hope this has changed since then.


No comments: